Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Ten Commandments for the career center


As you know I like to go to the public career center to look for jobs. It gets me out the house and makes me talk to people because everyone’s unemployment story is interesting. However after witnessing some VERY inappropriate behavior, I have come up with the Ten Commandments for career center interaction.
1. Stop chewing your gum so loud….It’s just annoying and you sound like a horse!
2. In connection with number one, don’t bring your Popeye’s (or any food) into the center. No one wants to sit down to a greasy keyboard.
3. Don’t print out more than 5 sheets or paper at one time. No one wants to wait as you print out 100 pages from CareerBuilder
4. Get off of freaking MySpace and facebook! While social media is great for looking for jobs, I highly doubt you are going to find a job on Lil John’s facebook fan page.
5. Cut down on the cologne. I know it’s a recession, but if you can’t afford the good stuff just wear some ax or tag. If you have to shower in your cologne or perfume it’s too much for you and everyone else.
6. Stop looking over my shoulder or reading my screen. I am not reading your resume so don’t read mine (unless you know a news directorJ).
7. Get off the phone. No one cares that, “You got a nice lil mama over in Bethesda and you bout to go see her after you leave the career spot.”
8. Stop annoying the people at the desk with dumb questions. I know we were taught there is no such thing as a dumb question, but since we are able minded adults that that is no longer true. Stop asking, “Do I only get an hour on the computer” the answer is yes…Read the damn sign.
9. We all have problems, but in an effort to keep the environment positive don’t share depressing or irrelevant stories. I mean we are all in need of some good news nowadays, so please don’t tell me about your cousin Tanya’s baby daddy leaving her on the bus with the baby.
10. Don’t call the Whitehouse (this actually happened). Obama may be the homeboy buy I can almost guarantee he will not answer the phone, and the people at the Whitehouse have stuff to do…Like fix the economy so we can all find a job

If we follow these simple guidelines we all can have a positive experience…Good luck job hunting!
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. HA!!!! Love it! Do you look for jobs on Craigslist? Saw something, the other day, that made me think of you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally look for jobs on Craigslist! I figure if I can find a couch on Craigslist for $2 a job can't be to far off!

    ReplyDelete