Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Stimulus money can't pay for a printer?


When looking for a job today there are a couple of things you need like a good attitude, the internet, and a printer. While these things are important for obvious reasons…A good attitude will keep going when the phone doesn’t ring, the internet to look for jobs and a printer to print your resume. Unfortunately the DC public library system doesn’t seem to agree with my criteria. On my trip today to print out my resume that I was then going to mail to a potential job (yes some places still want a hard copy of my resume) I was told by the librarian, “ The printer doesn’t work and since we are moving into a new building we don’t even have any ink. They aren’t giving us supplies until we move.”


WHAT THE HELL are the administrators thinking? Across the country library use is up as more and more people are in need of help looking for job. To add insult to injury DC can afford ink and a new printer considering the chief
librarian announced in May the distric recieved 1.5 million dollars in Federal stimulus money ( http://www.dclibrary.org/dcpl/lib/dcpl/pdf/BM052709_ChiefLibrariansReport-Document7.pdf ).


That’s why I did exactly what every taxpayer should do, I wrote a complaint. Here is the districts response.


Thank you for your e-mail. I know that this is a time of transition atyour library. i will hsare this -mail with our Nighborhood Librariesstaff so htat they are aware of yuor concerns.

Best, Bridget Bradley

Can you say spell check? I guess if Bridget can’t figure out how to use spell check, ordering a new printer is out of the question.
I just wanted to update this post with some facts I found online
-- 81 percent of public libraries report there are not enough public Internet computers to meet patron demand some or all of the time; increasingly, libraries are having trouble replacing outdated computer workstations due to cost.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't even want to believe that that email was sent like that...

    Kudos to you! I love your positive and proactive attitude that you maintain through all this (with a great sense of humor, to boot)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I kept that email...If anything it is proof that EVERYONE can get a job!

    ReplyDelete