Thursday, September 3, 2009

And then there were two


Just as the sun began to peak through the blinds my phone rings. To my surprise it is one of my close friends who should be at work (ok it isn't that early in the morning) is calling me. This can only mean two things, either he has a job he thinks I should apply for… or there is something funny I have to watch on YouTube. To my surprise the reason for my early morning call is to tell me that he was laid off the day before. My first response, “Whatever you’re kidding.” Unfortunately the phone call wasn’t a joke and now instead of being the only one without a job… now there are two of us.

Making matters worse is my reaction to the news. While I am sad for anyone who finds themselves in the unemployment line with me, it’s nice to have some company. My dear friend unlike the people at the career center understands what it is like to want to live a Fabulous twenty something life, yet struggle to make those oppressive student loan payments while looking for work. I guess some would say, “Misery loves company” but I choose to see it as having a close "partner in job searching crime" even if our fields are completely different. My new partner is someone who truly understands and is not offering advice from his work email.

Plus my friend needs to use my computer and offers to come over and make breakfast …Who would say no to a homemade breakfast made by an educated black man!

PS...I don't like my friend, before anyone emails me to ask.

3 comments:

  1. LOL at your PS cuz. And on the student loan tip, have you looked into the new IBR repayment plan that came into affect in July. It goes by income and can make your payment $0 a month. Mine is $0 a month now since I am not working and husband doesn't make all that much considering our family size. You should look into it. Check out The Project on Student Debt on Facebook their website is http://projectonstudentdebt.org/ Love reading your blog BTW, you are a gret writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! you knew it was coming about the PS. i know it's been crazy but just keep pushing and looking. this too shall pass. and you'll be able to look back on this time and laugh about it together with that friend that you "don't like."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Nichols I had to add a PS...My mom reads this and she would get ideas I was dating someone and not tell her. You know how moms can be!

    ReplyDelete