Monday, September 14, 2009

A Positive Attitude...Just what the doctor ordered

Sorry for the delay…I need a new power cord for my laptop so I am out of the loop for the next few days.

But here is what is on my mind today (and maybe for the next few if I don’t get a cord soon)
I was recently speaking with one of my friends about my job search, because she asked even though I have told people I have a strict “don’t ask, I won’t tell policy.” Despite my policy the questions still insist and I told her the truth. That truth is, despite what we see on TV the job market still sucks, and for those in media the market can be even worse. Her response, “Stop being so picky.”

I don’t know if it was the dismissiveness of the comment or the fact that it was insensitive but it really made me mad for a few reasons. First because when people share their problems with me I try to give words of encouragement and tell the person to keep pursuing their dreams. So why is it that because I am a reporter I should give up on mine. Secondly because I’ve been applying for EVERYTHING under the sun so I am not being picky. Lastly I did not ask for any advice, I was simply answering the question, “How is your job search going.”

I shared with my friend Brandon how the comment rubbed me the wrong way. Brandon who is very rational offered me some great advice I think is important to share. He told me in a few words, “Friends are in your life for a reason and a season, and when times are tough surround yourself with positive people because those are the people who will keep you going.”

Brandon is totally right. Since losing my job I have found out who my real friends from small and large outpourings of support. That’s why today I am taking that advice and saying goodbye to the Frenemies who wish me well, but then offer a backhanded advice. Because at the end of the day it is the positive people who will lift ones spirits. It doesn’t matter what you’re going through whether it looking for a new job or new boyfriend positivity is infectious and that’s just what the doctor ordered.

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment