Monday, September 21, 2009

Everyone needs a Hype Man


We all know the purpose of a hype man. In hip hop that person gets the crowd ready to party. At church the hype man is the deacon who shouts in agreement when the pastor is giving the word to the congregation. While we all understand why having hype man in these situations is necessary our lives seem to be a different story. But are our lives so different? Don’t we all need someone who pumps us up and occasionally sings our praises?
I realized that my ultimate hype man or should I say hype woman is my mother, Gayle Traynum (I’m using full names now so there is no confusion). While at a city meeting my mother sat next to a reporter for a local station. After talking to the reporter for a few minutes my mom politely asked if the opening at the station for a reporter had been filled. The reporter told her no and my mom told her about me and all of my great qualities and asked her if she can find my tape in the piles of tapes the station received and just make sure that the news director takes a look at my tape.
I would typically be mortified that my mother would bring me up in this fashion but I am happy for the gesture. We’re taught to be modest and humble but the hype man is unapologetic about your/mine Fabulosity. Plus when someone else says you’re awesome the comment doesn’t seem vain. That’s why I say beginning today EVERYONE should get a hype man, just make sure he or she doesn’t look like Flavor flav!

No comments:

Post a Comment