Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Balling on a Budget



Yesterday was a good day. I work up and applied for several jobs online before changing out of my pajamas. When I did finally get up to get dressed I noticed something tragic in the mirror. After months of neglect my eyebrows had turned into large brown caterpillars on my face. They looked like at any moment they were going to spread their wings and fly off of my face, possibly to someone who would take better care of them.


I got to thinking, the last time I went to get my eyebrows done was in July and its now September. Instead of making a call to Celadon my normal spot I, I had to think outside of the box. Being fabulous takes money, but my unemployment check just won’t support my $30 dollar eyebrow (plus $30 for underarm) waxing habit.


So what is an YBF girl to do? The answer is simple you still ball, but do it on a budget!


Luckily I am in a city where it is possible. Yesterday for the low, low price of 32 dollars I got my eyebrows and underarms waxed for only $32 at the Aveda Institute. As most of you already know the Aveda Institute is where Aveda trains its next generation of fabulous hair stylists and estheticians. My student at the Aveda Institute was very nice but very slow (we can’t always have it all). However I will chalk that up to nerves since it was their first night working on real people. Despite her being slow everything came out great and I will go back in the future.
The Aveda institute isn’t the only place where you can BALL OUT without breaking the bank. I’ve listed a couple of ways you can have fun and still look great on an unemployment check.


  • Filene’s Basement-I’m going speed dating on Thursday and found a great Calvin Klein top for only 24.99. You’re only as fabulous as you feel, so if you haven’t treated yourself to something new in a few weeks do on a budget.

  • Happy Hour-Being the Howard girl that I am you know I enjoy going out on the town. But drinks (if you can’t find a gentleman to sponsor you for the evening) can get expensive. That’s why I suggest hitting up Happy Hour. Zengos at Gallery Place has $6 mojitos that are to die for, and I know most spots have great happy hour specials.

  • Free Concerts and Movies-Being unemployed can be depressing if you don’t get out of the house, so step out in your new outfit and hit up a free concert or movie in your area. Here in DC there is free jazz in the sculpture garden on Friday nights and the national harbor shows free movies at night on certain days during the week.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...Aveda. Yes!

    During, my Howard hiatus, I got my estheticians license upon training at the original Aveda Institute - Minneapolis! Great spa products and services.

    Celadon, however, is the spot I go to to buy THE GREATEST skin care products around: Eminence Organic. Pricey stuff, but worth the investment--you see nearly instant results, and if you use the product right, it'll last for MONTHS.

    Another great spot for waxing, is Fusion on L Street (off Farragut North Metro). They charge just $50 for a brazilian!!! Most other spots around here will easily charge, like, $80/85. No woman should have to shell out nearly a hundred bucks for a smooth vajayjay!!!

    ReplyDelete