Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What Not To Say


If you have recently lost your job I am sure you have come across people who want to offer some encouragement or kind words. Having been on the receiving end of several of these conversations I have a bit of advice, SHUT UP. There are a million things else to talk about from health care reform to Chris Brown.


I say SHUT UP; with all of the love in the world but if you are employed and haven’t been laid off during a recession you do not know what I am going through. Furthermore if you have not sat and tried to tweak a cover letter 5 times for 5 jobs in one week you don’t know what the job market is like today.


If you happen to run into an old friend who is recently unemployed below are a few things NOT to say.


1. Television stations are laying people off too?
2. It’s for the better anyway, something better will come along.
3. Everything will be ok.
4. Have you looked on X website?
5. Maybe you should do blank in the meantime (Not that its anything wrong with it but I am not becoming a truck driver or working at Wendy’s)


Everyone needs some encouragement now and then, but coming from someone who is gainfully employed the “advice” can get annoying. There are two things you can say if you are at a loss for words:


1.I know Mr. /Mrs. X and they are hiring send me your resume and I will forward it to them.
2.I’m going to happy hour after work; you should come…My treat!


Happy Hump Day
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment