Monday, August 10, 2009

The Upside of Unemployment


Ok, I know I am not supposed to say this out loud…but there is an upside to unemployment. I am not talking about not having to get up every morning and carry around heavy camera equipment; I am talking about being able to exercise every day. I can’t count how many times I would get off of work, and although I packed my gym bag and it was in my trunk I went straight home, cooked dinner then talked on the phone or chatted online until it was time for bed. My excuse was that I was too tired or I simply was ready to go home and chill out, but now that I am not working my job is to find another job and workout every day.

The first thing I did when I moved back home is join a gym. At first I went to this new huge gym in Toledo, but I felt like a total fat girl because of all the skinny mini girls and buff guys (I know I am not fat…before anyone says anything). After using the free membership at the meat market gym, I joined a smaller ladies only gym. I’ve found my body has made the unemployment adjustment and loves it! Before I would automatically wake up for work, now I wake up in time to eat some oatmeal and head to the gym. When working I never got off in time for fitness classes which leads to another benefit of unemployment…I can actually attend classes. Not only does attending classes help my body I actually look forward to working out (because I HATE the treadmill and elliptical). So far my favorite class is Turbokick followed by awesome arms (I am trying to channel my inner Michelle Obama). My only complaint is that I am uncoordinated and whenever I learn a routine, it’s time for the instructor to change the routine. But even the change in routine is an upside because it keeps my body guessing and my mind off the fact that Ohio has a staggering unemployment rate of 11%. If you can’t afford the gym, Check out these links and try at home!
http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2009/08/build-a-better-back-slideshow#slide=1

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete