Friday, August 21, 2009

The Side Effects of Unemployment May Include...



We’ve all seen the commercials about the side effects of prescription drugs, but did you know that unemployment has side effects as well? I am not talking about brokenness; I am talking about physical pain. Yesterday I experienced two of those physical side effects when I ventured to Capitol Hill to apply for a few jobs.

The first physical sign of unemployment is heat stroke. We’ve all been taught to dress for success, or to dress for the job you want not the job you have, but this can be difficult when it’s 99 degrees outside and the humidity is at 87%. If you have been to DC you know there is no parking so you are forced to walk five blocks in a suit. While you may say, “ just take your jacket off” my answer , while the guys may enjoy me walking around in a camisole trying to find my destination I won’t enjoy my sun burn later and heat stroke later.

But having a heat stroke isn’t the only thing to worry about, all of the “pounding the pavement” is bad for your feet (especially if you are short like me and only own heels). After walking around Capitol Hill yesterday in my very cute BCBG shoes I hate to admit I got a blister on both of my feet (sorry if that grosses you out). Once again you may say “Just wear flip flops” but then you have to consider that flip flips are bad for the feet as well and I am too short to wear flats. Heels give me and many women an extra boost of confidence, and we all need confidence in this job market.

So what is a girl or guy to do in the blazing heat and heels (if you’re in DC it is acceptable for a guy to wear heels)?

The answer…Grin and bear it. When you get to the office and your feet are screaming and you have a pit stain under you arms just act like nothing is wrong. Any future employer will know you just braved the heat for a thirty minute meeting. So just grin and bear it and if they offer you bottled water, take them up on the offer.

Have a great weekend
Ashley

PS…I lied I didn’t experience two signs of unemployment, but it was hot as HELL I could have had a heat stroke!

No comments:

Post a Comment