Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Great Advice from an Unlikely Source


Hey everyone, first I want to apologize for neglecting my blog the last few days. Since I last wrote I have made it safely to DC and I am attempting to get back into DC grove (traffic, and happy hours in all). Everything is going well; I have had the opportunity to catch up with Tiffanie and Amanda and despite not living in the same city for two years our friendship is as strong as when I left. What isn’t as strong is my faith in the decision to pursue another career outside of television reporting. Over the past few weeks I have been going back and forth about whether I should pursue only reporting jobs because in my own words, “If it was going to happen, it would have worked out by now.”

Today I was having that same thought when I went to the career center in DC to print out a few resumes and search for jobs (the career center is free, if you’re not working check one out in your area http://does.dc.gov/does/cwp/view,a,1233,q,538261,doesNav,%7C32064%7C.asp). While there a guy (who I suspect was on drugs and homeless) began talking to me about my job search. I filled him in on my lay off and why I came to DC to look for a job. He asked me if I had any of my work so I pulled my tape up on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Toledobison) and he took a look. Then he said to me, “Girl you got it, that’s what you need to do. Why you applying for these other jobs.” I went on to explain to my new friend how hard the news business is, and how after two years in Lima filled with backstabbing and petty arguments with various coworkers I was no longer sure if television is what I wanted to do. Then he told me, “God is going to work it out. When you got a gift he will work things out for you.” Everyone knows I come for a family of strong Christians and I have heard this from everyone (especially my mom) but to hear it from someone so down on his luck made me rethink my attitude and my .

I have always wanted to be a television reporter and I was so full of energy when I began reporting. That’s why this week, thanks to my homeless best friend I am going to reclaim that enthusiasm energy and go towards my goals with with full steam. Because as my homeless friend told me, “If someone knocks you down and kicks you, you got to get up swinging. "
Love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment